Skip to main content

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Theory Of Everything by Stephen Hawking This book is a transcription of several lectures Stephen Hawking gave sometime before 1996. He does not own the copyright to these lectures, and would prefer that people who are interested in his work instead consult the books that he has written himself. Ironically, of the books by Hawking that I've tried, this is really the most enjoyable to me. Partly this may be because the lecture format required a particular kind of conciseness that his books lack. I have been listening to the book on audio as well as reading it. The audio version is, apparently, a direct recording of his lectures, and is given by means of his speech synthesizer. This is interesting and quite intelligible, although some proper names have odd pronunciations. I completed only the first three chapters, described below. Chapter 1: Ideas about the Universe Aristotle and the many reasons for a spherical earth, as well as an over-estimate of its circumference. The me...
I Have a Dream " is a public speech delivered by American  civil rights  activist  Martin Luther King Jr.  during the  March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom  on August 28, 1963, in which he calls for an end to  racism in the United States  and called for civil and economic rights. Delivered to over 250,000 civil rights supporters from the steps of the  Lincoln Memorial  in  Washington, D.C. , the speech was a defining moment of the  civil rights movement . Beginning with a reference to the  Emancipation Proclamation , which freed millions of slaves in 1863, King observes that: "one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free". Toward the end of the speech, King departed from his prepared text for a partly improvised  peroration  on the theme "I have a dream", prompted by  Mahalia Jackson 's cry: "Tell them about the dream, Martin!" In this part of the speech, which most excite...